January 8, 2009

Beautiful color on a foggy day ~

Look! Click on individual pictures for larger view.




























I was casting about in my fog-surrounded home this morning, looking for something colorful. The most wonderful book jumped off the bookshelf; colorful & timely too; inspiration for my doll project! Each figure wears a colorful layered folk-costume. The costumes pictured are tremendously varied in pattern & style.

I can provide no information about this book other than its publication date of 1965. Although over half of the book is text, it is Russian. A quick check on my magic computer tells me that Russian is one of the world's most widely spoken languages, used in numerous countries including Chechnya, Ukraine, Serbia, Bulgaria, Uzbekistan, Kazakstan and Mongolia. Hmm (thoughtful absorption).

All of these potteries are dated & labeled, but alas they remain a mystery to me. And that's ok.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those photos, they also look kinda Mexican to me.

Jenny over at Ladybugcircus

Fun is always in style. said...

I thought so too; very much so. Different clay, but color-wise & shape too - very similar.
The photos are so still

ays said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ays said...

I think the potteries (not only the book) are russian, too :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymkovo_toys